Saturday, April 5, 2014

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Alright.
I judged a book by its cover.
I simply HAVE to stop doing that.

I had seen the cover to the book a gazillion times.
I had been turned onto J. Spinelli, after reading Wringer (another amazing tale!). I read this book because I wanted to teach it to my 5th grade guided reading group, so because of this, I had to make sure that I read it ahead of time.

Wow.
We meet Stargirl (Susan), through the narrator Leo. He's awestruck at this bohemian, larger-than-life girl with a heart of gold. She is constantly doing for others--whether it's sending a birthday card, providing people with small tokens on their desks... she's always looking to please other people.

For nothing in return.

And because of this SO out of the ordinary behavior--she gets totally shunned by the entire student body. People absolutely DESPISE her. 
And for what? 
Being who she IS.

Before I took the books to my classroom, a fellow teacher said to me: "You're going to be amazed at the conversation this book elicits from these kids, even in 5th grade. They'll begin to look at themselves differently, they'll look at each other differently, and they'll be able to see things from a whole new perspective once they finish this book."

He was right. I'm an adult, and it absolutely changed mine.

Where can I buy this? Anywhere books are sold--I saw some in my local B & N 
OR Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Stargirl-Jerry-Spinelli-ebook/dp/B000QCSAIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396727980&sr=8-1&keywords=stargirl

What I think of it: 5/5 stars

Who would like to read it: People of all ages. I think the male perspective brings it to many more males than it would if it were written from a fellow female, and I also think that the story itself is happening around our country every day. In every school. In every town. 

No comments:

Post a Comment